Walnut, Indochinese panels inlaid with mother of pearl, gilded bronze, beveled glass.
This piece is one of the very rare testaments today of the productions of the Dai Nippon, a Japanese and Chinese society that settled in Paris around 1889. First specialising in the importation of art objects and bamboo furniture pieces from the Far East, the group created Sino-Japanese style appartment fixtures. After 1893, a new director, Eugene Augot, became the head of the company and launched the production of Far East inspired furniture pieces.
This display decorated like a pagoda occupies a very special place in the production of the Dai Nippon. The upper part is shaped in the form of a pagoda roof with several points displaying a threatening dragon. The thin ledge on which it rests is decorated with Tonkin panels inlaid with mother of pearl and decorated with horsemen. These panels are indochinese productions, directly imported by the Dai Nippon for this kind of usage or collected from Far Eastern furniture manufacturers. The assymetry between the two elements and the off-centered character of the décor confirms this theory.
The lower part of the display has a backsplash whose uprights are made in the form of frightening winged chimeras.
In the center of this piece, two drawers are decorated again with panels in mother of pearl as well as turtles and grasshoppers, cast in bronze, whose combination seems to be characteristic of the productions of the Dai Nippon.