n elegant pair of covered vases made of Antique Green marble and ormolu ornamentation. The slightly rounded body is carved with twisted godrons and cartridges. The neck and the handles are embellished with ormolu acanthus leaves and topped with foliage. The tripod base is shaped with consoles ending in lion paws, and is placed on a base decorated with a ribboned cane frieze.
This type of object, typical of 18th century taste, was made fashionable again during the reign of Emperor Napoleon III, and more precisely thanks to Empress Eugenie. The craze went on until the end of the 19th century.
François Linke (1855-1946) is the author of this creation, inspired by the Regence style, Louis XV style and more generally “Rococo” style. This cabinet-maker trained in his native Bohemia (Czech Republic), but also in Prague, Vienna, and Budapest, before moving to Paris in 1875. His high-quality production brought him great renown and a wealthy clientele.
In 1881, he opened a workshop at 170 rue du Faubourg Saint Antoine. He was so successful that he opened a second gallery on the well-known Place Vendôme. He surrounded himself with talented artists such as the sculptor Léon Message (1842-1901) with whom he made “Le Grand Bureau”. For this impressive work of art, they received the gold medal at the Universal Exhibition of 1900 in Paris.