This baluster-shaped vase is signed by Louis-Robert Carrier-Belleuse and was made circa 1900 in collaboration with the faience manufactory of Choisy Le Roi. On a blue background with shades ranging from darkest to lightest, a relief frieze of a woman and cherubs on background of flowers and branches develops around the vase neck. The frieze is made in the technique called "pâte sur pâte" ("paste on paste").
This process, developed at the Sèvres Manufactory around 1848 was commonly used by sculptors, what Louis Carrier-Belleuse was. It generally involves applying white patterns on a colored background.
Son of the sculptor Albert-Ernest Carrier-Belleuse (1824-1887) whom he was a student, Louis Carrier-Belleuse followed the lessons of Gustave Boulanger and Alexandre Cabanel at the Ecole des Beaux-Arts. He began as a painter at the Salon of 1870 and exhibited sculptures from 1889. He was also interested in industrial arts and he worked with his father at the Manufacture de Sèvres, where he was the artistic director since 1875.
In 1877, he acquired from Théodore Deck his first experience in ceramic and participated in the contest of Sèvres in 1882 by sending a garden project. Then, he became director of the works of arts in Choisy-le-Roi, providing many models. He received a medal in 1896 in the art section. He exhibited for the last time in 1912.
As artistic director of the manufactory of Choisy-le-Roi, he designed many models, as is this vase. Founded in 1805 by Messrs. Valentin, Melchior and Nicolas Paillart in the castle of Choisy-le-Roi, the factory became the property of Valentin Paillart and Hippolyte Hautin in 1824. In 1836, with the departure of Valentin Paillart, the factory becomes the property of Hippolyte Hautin and Louis Boulenger. From that date, the factory of Choisy-le-Roi becomes a family affair. In 1863, Hippolyte Boulenger succeeded his uncle Louis as company head. He will remain the sole owner until 1878. It was under his leadership that the factory has known a considerable extension. That same year, he decided to transform the factory into a company: the "Company Hte Boulenger et Cie" was born. Hippolyte Boulenger will be the sole manager until his death in 1892. At that time, it was his son, Paul, who took over the business.