This pair of lamps was made by the Manufacture of Longwy in Meurthe-et-Moselle, circa 1880. Made out of enamelled blue engraved ceramic, both lamps are richly decorated. Two birds, one in flight, take place in a flowery branches decorated on one side while on the other, a wading bird and peacock are shown in a lake landscape.
These lamps are playing on an ornamental vocabulary coming from the Far East who was very popular in France, thanks to World's Fairs when China and Japan were exposing their most famous creations.
Created in 1798, the Manufacture of Longwy is known from the beginning of the 19th century. With the arrival, around 1872, of the Italian Amédée de Caranza which brings with him the technique of cloisonné enamel on earthenware, Longwy greatly expands its production, directing especially to the production of Orientalist or Extreme-Orientalist works of art, in the style then in vogue. This pair of lamps is quite typical in this regard.