Credenza in walnut and gilt bronze . The piece of furniture is in two parts, all decorated with detached columns. The upper part opens with two wings and the lower part with a belt drawer and a shelf. A rich carved Neo-Renaissance style ornamentation adorns the whole: Ionic columns, top, lion muffle, cornice, consoles.
On the back, it bears the stamp "P. MAZAROZ.P." surmounting a star. It is numbered "19963". The bronzes are signed: "F. BARBEDIENNE".
To decorate this Neo-Renaissance furniture, Paul Mazaroz called on Ferdinand Barbedienne. This famous bronze artist is the author of a reinterpretation of the Fountain of the Innocents’s nymphs (Paris). Two of these five girls decorate the doors of the upper part of our credenza. Imagined by Jean Goujon, it celebrated the entry of King Henry II in Paris in 1547. This iconography is hence particularly adapted for a Henri II style Neo-Renaissance furniture piece like this credenza.
Paul Mazaroz (1823 – 1900).
This 19th century cabinetmaker and collector comes from a family of Italian origin, born in the city of Lons-le-Saunier in the Jura. He married the daughter of Parisian cabinetmaker Pierre Ribaillier in 1853 and worked with him in the company (located 20, rue des filles du Calvaire).
Although the name of his father-in-law remains attached to the production of his workshops, at the World’s Fair of 1855 , Mazaroz exhibited several pieces of furniture in his own name. After the London Exhibition, the company modernized and equipped with the very latest machines and tools. The company participates in every exhibition and meets success : at the World’s Fair of 1867 and 1878 they obtain the silver medal. Mazaroz’s firm disappeared in 1890.
The museum in his hometown of Lons-le-Saunier organized an exhibition in 2003 entitled "Jean-Paul Mazaroz: an enlightened amateur in the 19th century".
A catalog of his works is available online in two albums on the BnF website:
Jean-Paul Mazaroz (1823-1900), Ribaillier aîné et Paul Mazaroz. Meubles exécutés dans leur fabrique rue Ternaux-Popincourt, 1855-1857.